AGI is a dynamic and fast-growing charity, and our projects are constantly evolving. We are looking for exceptional leaders to join our management team and lead our country programmes. A small number of Country Head positions will become available in the first half of 2016. We are also interested to hear from individuals who wish to join our pipeline of future candidates.
AGI is working for a future in which Africa’s development is led by Africans, with governments that are capable of setting priorities that reflect the rising expectations of their citizens. We provide practical advice and support to help African leaders to bridge the gap between their vision for a better future and the capacity of their governments to achieve it. We work with countries where we have had an invitation from the head of government. We work in five countries: Sierra Leone, Liberia, Rwanda, Guinea, Ethiopia, and Nigeria.
In the last twelve months our Governance Advisors have supported impact in a variety of sectors.
- We supported the establishment of the Development Bank of Nigeria, which will provide loans to over 20,000 budding small businesses in its first year.
- We have also begun our work to support Power Africa in its efforts to bring electricity to 600 million households across Sub-Saharan Africa.
- In Rwanda our focus has been on delivering reform that will increase farmers’ incomes and exports.
- In Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea we provided logistical support in coordinating the response to Ebola. We worked with local public servants to set up systems that ensured information on case numbers, contact tracing, ambulance despatch and dead body management reached senior government figures. This made sure that the right decision were made at the right time.
Our model combines the experience of AGI’s founder and Patron, Tony Blair, with on‐the‐ground teams of professionals working shoulder‐to‐shoulder with counterparts in the heart of partner governments – in Presidential Offices, ministries and other government agencies – to develop capacity and put in place the skills, systems and structures needed to drive the delivery of real results on the ground.
What we look for in our people
Our teams all consist of outstanding individuals who demonstrate AGI’s values, excel at building and maintaining relationships, have the ability to help our partner government solve some of their most challenging strategic problems, and demonstrate strong leadership skills. Our people are passionate about the work we do, ready to take a bold approach and focused on delivering impact for our partner governments.
AGI Country Heads have a proven track record of leadership and delivery in the public or private sectors and generally have 10+ years of relevant professional experience. We build international and multidisciplinary teams and are looking for individuals with a background in: public/civil services worldwide; strategy consulting; relevant industry experience (power/energy, transport, and infrastructure); private equity and finance; and international development. If you are interested in being at the heart of a country’s most important reforms working alongside aspirational leaders to ensure that the country continues to grow and deliver vital services for its citizens, then look no further.
We would also like to hear from candidates who speak fluent French and/or Portuguese, for recruitment to our projects in Francophone and Lusophone countries. For any of our roles, experience of living and working in developing countries is desirable but not essential.
The focus of this role
AGI Country Heads have full responsibility for all programme activities, including managing a small team of up to 10 people, budget, overseeing programme design and the delivery and evaluation of project goals. They are also responsible for managing relations with senior government officials, up to and including the President, and our Patron. For these challenging and demanding roles we are looking for exceptional performance in the AGI competencies and proven experience of building and managing high performing teams.
All candidates will need to demonstrate the following core competencies:
- Leadership and organisational awareness
- Building and managing effective relationships, including the ability to navigate complex political environments
- Influencing and coaching and delivering change through others
- Management and delivery, including excellent project management skills
- Strategic planning and decision-making
- Analysis and use of evidence
- A creative and entrepreneurial approach to overcoming barriers and making change happen, and the ability to cope in emotionally demanding environments
As well as meeting our core competencies, we expect candidates for the Country Head position to be able to demonstrate how they will meet the following key responsibilities:
- Maintain the “Licence to Operate” within country ie. budget management, operations, safety and security of staff
- Set the strategic direction of the project
- Build the team and drive its performance
- Understand and engage the principal stakeholders
- Contribute to the wider leadership and development of AGI as an organisation
Remuneration will be competitive within the international charitable sector and will include provision for flights, housing and relevant expenses in Africa.
How to apply
Applications should consist of a CV and covering letter, explaining your interest in working for AGI and demonstrating how you meet the core competencies. Each should be no longer than 2 pages. We will be looking to fill roles throughout 2015/2016 and will let you know if your application has been accepted into our talent pool.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We work on complex issues in dynamic and uncertain contexts. When things are changing fast and we need to make decisions it is our values that guide us. We strive to be: